Friday, October 20, 2006

Positioning myself – two become one

In G518, I’m working on an assignment, positioning in the field. I focus on enhancing active learning and critical thinking in discussion-based online education. My findings in this niche include discussion activities (foster effective instructor-learner, or learner-learner communication, questioning techniques that promote critical thinking) and content analyzing (analyzing frameworks, research methodology, and coding techniques). I found from existing literature that most content analysis models stem from social science, and psychology models to quantify story and writing.
Across the foyer to room G513, I continue my game research with The Sims2 focusing on how players shape their identities in game, and on justifying their stories. My plan is to look into the Story Exchange at the Sims 2 website and find out how players develop their life story in game play.
Although games are my sinful pleasures and I never want to be parted from them, I doubt that game research would help my profession when I finish the degree since scholars give game a bad name. While I was worried what to do with this wrongdoing (playing game), psychology comes along. Then narrative and content analysis models help me get back on track. Yes, I finally find the way to merge my fondness with my profession. In the next AECT survey, I’d definitely check ‘nature of work’ as my factors to stay in jobs.

1 Comments:

At October 24, 2006 1:52 PM, Blogger พ่อบ้านเล่างานวิจัย said...

Hi Dr.Kara,
I do think that these content analysis frameworks would help me examine discussion boards of MMORPGs. I used to look into these boards and there are many different kinds of content, people sometimes put their goals (e.g., I want to kill 5000 goblins by end of this year) that I found intriguing. I’m sure that investigating these kind of content would help justify whether online game really help people learn (as game researchers claim).
However, the immediate benefits from studying analysis frameworks in Foundation class is to use them in online discussion board. Apparently, I use knowledge from Gunawardena et al.’s (1997) and Newman et al.’s (1996, 1997) and create rubric to justify good stories, based on McAdams’ good myth criteria. This helps me in doing project in Game study class, as I started to look at online stories at TheSims2 official website.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home