Thursday, October 05, 2006

Thought from discussion after group work

I was thinking about Dr.Kara’s notion of instructor’s risk regarding teaching styles.
Being a sage on the stage is like an untouchable figure, students cannot ask and definitely cannot argue (don’t you think?). The sages take no risk and therefore do not need to learn (only read what they have to teach). Back in my teaching time, our folks has a joke that we all are just ‘tape recorder’ or ‘copying machine.’ We barely learn new things during our career. Does passive class make passive teacher?
Constructivists seem to be more risky as they take off their scholarly roles and jump right in the same level as learners and say ‘hey, I’m just one of you guys. How about that?’ But then, is it okay to say that ‘the more you risk, the more you learn?’

No matter which approach we like, I think it boils down to class size, learner’s level, and learning objectives.

1 Comments:

At October 08, 2006 2:07 PM, Blogger Kathryn said...

Hi Vasa,

Great job again on the presentation last week! I think we all worked well together:)

About your comment, I really like the question you posed. I went to grade school up to third grade in a Catholic school, where all of the classes were taught by nuns. We weren't allowed to say anything during most of my classes, and we were taught that all of the things we learned were absolute. When I was in high school, the same thing, except not in a Catholic school. I was in a public high school, and it seemed as though everything that we learned in class was not interactive, but rather the teacher being a "tape recorder" and pressing play whenever they wanted to give a lesson. Does that passiveness in the teacher's instruction style create a sense of passivity in children also? I really find that I am learning when being active in the classroom as compared to when I am learning by observation. Thanks for bringing up these issues, Vasa!

Kathryn :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home