Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Possible selves at match.com

A conversation with Ben yesterday kept me awake until now, 3am. The social network phenomenon is really fascinating. I keep asking myself what should I feel and react if, say, I meet a couple at a party and the greeting goes, ‘hi, I’m Jose and this is my wife Santalusia… we met thru match.com.’ Yes, it happens to be normal but I am amazed.
Ben’s notion of ‘ideal self’ is interesting--customers would best illustrate themselves online--and I couldn’t agree more. When you put yourself up there, it’s might not be your yourself, but it’s someone you want to be, someone perfect.
If wannabe-self matches with another, is it likely that both of them can help each other to reach their future selves? Does the online matchmaking help people get married faster, and make marriage last longer? Do 29 Dimensions of Compatibility at eharmony really help? As they claim, ‘90 eHarmony members get married every day.’ How many doesn’t get a chance? How many of them separate?

1 Comments:

At November 29, 2006 8:32 AM, Blogger Hearandnow said...

I'm sorry, Vasa. I didn't mean to keep you up all night. Though it is a pretty interesting topic. I think the work Erik/Joe/Martin/Baird are doing on archetypal creation of avatars could be a great step in peeking into why people do what they do when it comes to creating a virtual identity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home