Thursday, November 09, 2006

Thought from our folks: Information Literacy and Technical skill

To me, information literacy is a skill to select relevant information. I pulled the definition of visual literacy from wikipedia, and thought that we can simply replace the word images with information.

[Information] literacy is the set of skills involved in the interpretation and criticism of [information] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_literacy)


Essentially, we can say that to be information literate is to be able to read information.

Flash tutorial:
Concerning issue Dr.Kara mentioned in class, ‘whether we should learn new technologies to develop courses or just hire a professional.’ I would say yes and no for this question.

I read this dialogue from the book, but can’t remember which one. It goes…
------
customer: how much does a web site cost?
web designer: that's depends, what do you want the site to do?
customer: i don't know, what can you do wit ha web site?
web designer: that's depends, how much do you want to spend?
------

In a way, this dialogue happens when it comes to technologies. Customers don’t really know what they want; they don’t know how far technology could take them to. That’s why consultant makes a fortune consulting. I would say ‘yes’, we should know and educate ourselves new technologies, and ‘no’ we should not go all the way from scratch to master a certain product, just know enough to talk with professional personnel. I’m sure that by now, Mary would comfortably talk to the instructional designer at her library, and be able to move to other multimedia editing tools using existing experience from Flash.

1 Comments:

At November 13, 2006 2:56 PM, Blogger Kathryn said...

Hi Vasa,

I liked your post about visual literacy's definition being similar to that of the information literacy one. When I think of the word "literacy" I think of someone trying to make sense of what is available to them and being able to use it effectively/apply it effectively in the future.

In regard to hiring professionals, GREAT IDEA! I feel this especially for me once I start my PhD work. My project will be a collaboration of many people's expertises.

Thanks for sharing,
Kathryn :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home